Thursday, January 22, 2009

God Is Not Really Enough

I was recently reading Nancy Leigh DeMoss’ book called Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free and there were a few chapters that I particularly wanted to share here. Each of these sections I am going to share (over the next few days) talk about the lie itself (what we tell ourselves) and then state the Truths and Scripture verses that prove those Truths.
I hope you enjoy reading these, and if you find you relate to them, that you will be able to apply the truths to your life when these lies surface.
The first is the lie that “God Is Not Really Enough,” which is a lie I think many Christians struggle with…


Lie: God Is Not Really Enough

“Christ is all I need, all that I need.” It’s one thing to sing that little chorus when we’re sitting in a church service. But when we walk out the church doors and into the rough-and-tumble world, do we really believe He is all we need? As with [other] lies, we would hardly dare to breathe these words; few of us consciously believe this lie. But the way we live reveals that this is what we really do believe.
When it comes down to it, we don’t believe God’s Word is truly sufficient to deal with our problems. Oh, it can deal with everyone else’s problems; but it doesn’t speak to my issues, my needs, my relationships, my situation. I need God’s Word plus these eight books from the Christian bookstore; I need God’s Word plus tapes and conferences and counsellors.
Sure, I need God. But I need Him plus close friends; I need Him plus good health; I need Him plus a husband; I need Him plus children; I need Him plus a job that pays enough; I need Him plus a house with a microwave, a washer/dryer, a garage, and a fresh paint job…
Do you really believe that if you have God you have enough? Do we truly believe God is enough, or are we looking to other things and people to fill the empty places of our hearts – food, shopping, friends, hobbies, vacations, our job, or our family?

The Truth is that God is enough. If you have Him, you have all you need.

Psalm 23:1: The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

Psalm 73:23-26: Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Colossians 2:9-10: For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

No comments: