Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lord, I Give You This Day

This is from a devotional book I read, called Lord, I Give You This Day by Kay Arthur. I found this reading to be not only very convicting, but also very encouraging. :)

Did you know that water, which is necessary for life, has always been symbolic of God?
For the Israelites, God was to be their wellspring, the One to whom they turned for all their needs.
O LORD, the hope of Israel,
All who forsake You will be put to shame.
Those who turn away on earth will be written down,
Because they have forsaken the fountain of living
Water, even the LORD. (Jeremiah 17:13)
God’s people were to depend on Him as their source of life and satisfaction, their Fountain of Living Waters. Instead, in the days of Jeremiah, they turned to other sources.
That’s an Old Testament parallel to you and me walking in the flesh instead of walking in the Spirit. God alone is to be our life, our source, our sufficiency. Jesus said, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water’” (John 7:37-38). “Come” and “drink” are in the present tense in the Greek, which implies continual or habitual action. You and I are to live in total, continuous dependence upon God.
Are you depending upon God? Or are you turning to a person, to a position, to material possessions – what you drive, what you wear, where you live – to give you a sense of worth, purpose, satisfaction? At what fountain are you drinking to quench your thirst? Has it really satisfied?

Lord, I thank You that You have promised to meet all my needs, to satisfy my longings. Forgive me for seeking fulfillment elsewhere.

No comments: