Sunday, September 14, 2008

They Walk Today With Christ Above

Today I decided to share some quotes again. These were all taken from the journals and letters of the five missionaries who gave their lives so many years ago, as they were attempting to share the Good News to the Waodani Indians. I have no doubt that everyone knows the story of these men. The following quotes are great, as they show the depth of their love for their Saviour, and their absolute willingness to share that love and message with others, no matter the cost.


“Throughout all our personality we are God’s, and since God has made our whole selves, there is great joy in realizing who is our Creator. This realization is to permeate every area and level of life. In appreciation of beauty, mountains, music, poetry, knowledge, people, science – even in the tang of an apple – God is there, to reflect the joy of His presence in the believer who will realize God’s purposes in all things.”
- Pete Fleming


“In all honesty before the Lord I say that no one or nothing beyond Himself and the Word has any bearing upon what I’ve decided to do. I have one desire now – to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it… I’m taking the Lord at His word, and I’m trusting Him to prove His Word. It’s kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket, but we’ve already put our trust in Him for salvation, so why not do it as far as our life is concerned? If there’s nothing to this business of eternal life we might as well lose everything in one crack and throw our present life away with our life hereafter. But if there is something to it, then everything else the Lord says must hold true likewise.”
- Ed McCully


“God Himself laid down the law when He built the universe. He knew when He made it what the price was going to be. God didn’t hold back His only Son, but gave Him up to pay the price for our failure and sin. Missionaries constantly face expendability. Jesus said, ‘There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands for my sake and the Gospel’s but shall receive an hundred fold now in this time and in the world to come eternal life.’”
- Nate Saint


“With God’s help I hope and pray for the faith and strength to glorify our Father through my daily living as a witness and follower of Christ. Searching the Scriptures is my greatest source of hope and inspiration, having yet to learn the full power of prayer. I used to say, ‘This is a great world.’ With this new faith, this feeling has increased a thousandfold and I fairly ache within from happiness and rejoicing in sharing God’s manifold blessing which He gives to this world with Infinite mercy and grace… I want to be a witness for Him and live following Him every second of my life.”
- Roger Youderian


“I will be led and taught of the Holy Spirit. God desires full development, use and activity of our faculties. The Holy Spirit can and will guide me in direct proportion to the time and effort I will expend to know and do the will of God. I must read the Bible to know God’s will. At every point I will obey and do… I will die to self. I will begin to ask God to put me in a service of constant circumstances where to live Christ I must die to self. I will be alive unto God. That I may learn to love Him with my heart, mind, soul, and body.”
- Roger Youderian


“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
- Jim Elliot


“If God would grant us the vision, the word sacrifice would disappear from our lips and thoughts; we would hate the things that seem so dear to us; our lives would suddenly be too short, we would despise time-robbing distractions and charge the enemy with all our energies in the name of Christ… Lord, God, speak to my own heart and give me to know Thy Holy will and the joy of walking in it. Amen.”
- Nate Saint


“Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him… O Jesus, Master and Center and End of all, how long before that Glory is thing which has so long waited Thee? Now there is no thought of Thee among men; then there shall be thought for nothing else. Now other men are praised; then none shall care for any other’s merits. Hasten, hasten, Glory of Heaven, take Thy crown, subdue Thy Kingdom, enthrall Thy creatures.”
- Jim Elliot


“There is a seeking of honest love
Drawn from a soul storm-tossed,
A seeking for the gain of Christ,
To bless the blinded, the beaten, the lost.

Those who sought found Heavenly Love
And were filled with joy diving,
They walk today with Christ above…"
- Roger Youderian (the last line eluded him, and he never did get to finish it)


No comments: